Printed by http://nordfriesland.city-map.de/city/db/020702011601/city-tour-through-friedrichstadt

City tour through Friedrichstadt

Small and clear but not to be overlooked - that is Friedrichstadt. The town was founded in 1621 under duke Friedrich III of Schleswig-Gottorf by displaced Remonstrants. The town's name keeps the reminder of their ducal founder.

The town shows it can conserve old buildings so that they fit harmoniously into the old grown townscape. A tour through Friedrichstadt will affirm this:

Image Copyright: city-map agentur nord




The city tour through Friedrichstadt should start at the market


The market place form the centre of the small
»Holländerstädtchen« (Dutch town).

Image Copyright: city-map agentur nord



Here you will find the town hall, the steps-gabled houses, the stone bridge and in front of the limes of the »Green Market« the market pump with the gothic like well house. It was built by the architect Heinrich Rohardt in 1879 and given to the town as a gift. At the well house's front wall are 4 verse inscriptions, which were written especially about the water by Klaus Groth in Low German. At two sides of the Green Market, where during spring crocuses and spring snowflakes are in full bloom, one can still see
the thick railing like iron posts where once the animals were tied during the livestock market.

Image Copyright: Touristinformation Friedrichstadt

Gabled houses at the market

The west side of the market forms with it 9 steps-gabled houses
(numbers 16-24) a single mostly closed front of
Dutch merchant houses from the Wilhelminian style. This row of houses is a character example of townscape forming art of building. Outstanding are the house marks, which are attached to the gable: water lily, hawk, starry sky, mill and so forth. The house marks can be found at different houses in the whole old town centre.

Over the stone bridge of the middle moat one reaches the Neberhaus (Am Mittelburgwall Nr. 24). The building with the probably most valuable interior design was once the exemplar of Dutch living culture (built between 1621 and 1630). Special distinguishing mark is the forward bend façade. Dutch Moppen, small red bricks, was used as building material. The grandest room is the regent chamber or the Friedrichstädter room. Over half of the old panelling was brought to the Flensburger Museum and there reconstructed. Today 2/5 of the panelling in the regent chamber at the Neberhauses is still conserved. The Bovenzaal, that means upper hall is at the first floor and has an alcove. For a few months the duke of Orleans lived here during the French Revolution in 1789. He lived as a emigrant under the pseudonym De Vries and acceded in as king of the people Louis Philippe the French throne in 1830. He worked here as a tutor.

Image Copyright: Touristinformation Friedrichstadt

'Lüttche Brüch'

One reaches from the middle moat over the 'Lütje Brüch' (small bridge) the earl house built in 1633. The house suffered in April 1945 bomb damage. The north gable was restored in 1961. It is a long stretched eaves house with high under and low upper floor of nine axes. It contributes to the considerably to the original townscape because of its corner position and building shape.

The Lohgerberstraße connects straight on. The street was newly created after the old exemplar of the Alte Friedrichstadt in 1985. Clean laid cobblestone, the old Friedrichstädter lanterns and the lovely red clinked pavements remind one of the past.

city directories
Search